Monday, April 23, 2012

2. Sound Art Piece: Attempts at Whistling




For this work, I decided to use the second lesson of my post last week about recording "everyday sounds" - I thought it might be weird and interesting to record body sounds - gross stuff like smacking lips and scratching and nails and teeth. Then, the sounds were too gross for me to work with, so I decided to record my attempts at whistling too. After going through the sound clips, I thought it might be interesting to use only sounds I made with my mouth and experiment with amplifying them through audacity, as well as layering them. Even though the sounds make me slightly sick, I think it might be really awesome to be able to hear these sounds in an empty room quite loud - the chattering of teeth, licking of lips. I also can't whistle at all, so I liked the idea of "attempts at whistling" - recording ones lack of abilities to make sound.